By TWO votes, the House just killed essential aspects of the Affordable Care Act. They don't know what it will cost, whom it will harm, what the implications are, but by golly they got a "win".
This is the first step toward killing the Affordable Care Act. We now must prevent the second. This bill must pass both houses before it can be signed into law. Let's stop it in its tracks now!
The goal of killing ACA is to "save" billions that would be spent on health care for Americans and divert it into tax cuts for the wealthy. This is not a laudable plan. This betrays working families, those whose members have serious and costly conditions, women who are being deprived of maternal care, and families whose children have autism or any other chronic condition. We cannot let this happen.
It is now time to address your Senators.
No matter who they are or how much they may agree with us on the importance of preserving ACA, please keep talking to them. They need to tell their colleagues that you have spoken, that hundreds of thousands to millions have made clear that ACA is worth saving and that we, the people, are watching.
Please continue your calls to 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators. It will take two calls, one to each, but it is well worth the time and effort.
Alternatively, you may contact them via text by setting up an alert daily to contact the at 50409. Just type "Resist" into your text to get started. There will be prompts on where to go from there. If you don't want to respond to the daily alert to post a new message, just deleted the alert.
You may also go to their offices in DC or the district via our site http://www.churchimpact.org/take-action.htm
Please start urging your Senators to vote NO on the alternative health care bill. It's irresponsible, fiscally unsound, and morally reprehensible.
- It imposes an 'age tax' by letting older people be charged FIVE TIMES what younger people are charged.
- It removes all guarantees for coverage of pre-existing conditions
- It gives states the right to remove the 10 essential benefits as rights with no additional charge
- It makes being female a pre-existing condition as well as domestic violence, a C-section, sexual assault. These experiences can be grounds for denying health care coverage at all.
- It allows states to remove the 10 essential benefits from employer -sponsored plans.
Please start writing, calling, texting today. We have a good chance of stopping this travesty. We must have your voice to do it.